• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cure For Cramps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endymion00

Bluelighter
Ugh! Whenever I'm on my period I have the most painful, excruciating cramps of all time. Generally I just pop some Tylenol but it doesn't always work and isn't always available.

Usually I can't function at all when I'm having these cramps, and I just feel like going into the shower, curling up into a ball and dying. Its that bad. So do any girls know of any methods to lessen the pain?

Tylenol doesnt do anything for me...I take an NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug) such as Ponstan (mefenamic acid) and Flanax (naproxen). Sometimes I put a mentholated liniment on my stomach and just curl up in a ball until the pain goes away .....

I heard Magnesium supplements are meant to work wonders for cramps.

I usually take them to stop jaw-clenching.

Not all cramps are the same. Does it occur mostly before, during, or the last part of your period? How is your flow like (lots of blood, etc.)? Do you feel heavy or tired, and experience bloating? There are different ways to address the different types of discomfort during menstruation.

Calcium and Manganese: A One-Two Punch for Cramps
Vitamin B6 Keeps Cramps at Bay

( taking vitamin B6 as part of a B-complex supplement. Look for a B-complex supplement that contains no more than 200 to 300 milligrams of B6. Large doses can be toxic, she says. It’s a good idea to check with your doctor before taking doses of more than 100 milligrams daily.)

Equally important in staving off cramps is niacin.

Between 25 and 200 milligrams of niacin a day, beginning seven to ten days before your period is due and stopping the day that your period starts. This treatment can be repeated every month to prevent menstrual cramps.

Prescriptions for Healing

There are a few nutrients that can help make a woman's monthly cycle more comfortable. Here's what some medical experts recommend.

Nutrient Daily Amount

Calcium 5001,000 milligrams

Iron 15 milligrams

Manganese 2 milligrams

Niacin 25200 milligrams, beginning 710 days before your period and stopping the day your period starts

Vitamin B6 200300 milligrams

Vitamin C 1,000 milligrams

MEDICAL ALERT: Do not take niacin in doses exceeding 100 milligrams without medical supervision. Women with liver disease should use niacin only under medical supervision.

Vitamin B6 can cause side effects when taken in doses of more than 100 milligrams daily, so it's a good idea to talk to your doctor before supplementing the amount recommended here.

Women with heavy bleeding also need plenty of vitamin C and bioflavonoids. Both vitamin C and bioflavonoids reduce bleeding by strengthening the capillary walls, which are at their weakest just before and during the menstrual period.
A daily supplement that includes at least 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C and 800 milligrams of bio flavonoids. Because vitamin C helps the body absorb iron more efficiently must take these two nutrients together.

Drinking two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with a glass of lukewarm water can also help reduce the pain of menstruation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eating half a teaspoon of sesame seeds with a glass of lukewarm water is also helpful in reducing the pain.

Drink at least one glass of parsley juice when you are having your menstrual cycle.

Using a hot water bottle can give some relief from the pain of the cramps.

Boil some crushed fresh ginger in water and drink the liquid that you get after straining.

Eating a ripe banana as soon as you feel the first menstruation cramps will help reduce the pain.

Eating papaya is an effective way of avoiding pain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are common over-the-counter medications that can help relieve menstrual cramps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most menstrual pain is classified as either spasmodic or congestive. Doctors know that spasmodic pain is caused by the female hormones estrogen and progesterone and by prostaglandins, hormonelike substances that control muscle tension. Women with spasmodic cramps generally have an excess of a certain type of prostaglandins called 2 series prostaglandins, which are responsible for contraction of the smooth muscles, including the uterus. Prostaglandin production increases toward the end of your cycle, resulting in cramps that are sometimes accompanied by nausea, constipation or diarrhea.

The other type of menstrual pain is known as congestive. Women with congestive pain also tend to suffer from bloating, water retention, headaches and breast pain. In addition, they often notice a worsening of their cramps when they eat certain foods, such as wheat and dairy products, or when they drink alcohol, says Dr. Lark. Unfortunately, congestive pain tends to get worse with age, whether or not a woman has children.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/10/84.cfm

http://www.consultation.ayurvediccure.com/relief-from-stomach-cramps-during-menstruation/

http://www.healthcentral.com/ency/408/002115.html

Last edited:
Heat, painkillers, caffeine, and healthy food. Exercising, even though it suuucks when you're having cramps, will help a lot.

caffeine... WTF...caffeine causes cramps. caffeine hinders your bodies ability to absorb vitamins and minerals

Also, massaging your lower abdomen can help. It helps work out the clots or something. I have the worst cramps, experiencing them now actually. Good luck

Heat, painkillers, caffeine, and healthy food. Exercising, even though it suuucks when you're having cramps, will help a lot.

Exercise has made my cramps go away completely. I've only had my period once since I started exercising, but I'm the more I do it the less painful they will be and I might stop having them altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.